***ADMISSIONS FOR THE MA PROGRAM ARE NOW CLOSED FOR THIS RECRUITMENT SEASON***
The Clinical Psychology Master of Arts (MA) Program within the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine is intended for students interested in pursuing a career in academic clinical psychology. The MA program is designed to provide a foundation in academic clinical psychology at the graduate level, while also allowing students to gain educational and research exposure to major areas of study within clinical psychology, including Adult Psychopathology and Treatment, Health Psychology/Behavioral Medicine, Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, and Clinical Neuropsychology and Behavioral Neuroscience.
The goals of the MA Program in Clinical Psychology are to:
- Develop foundational competencies in research design, analytics, and ethics within academic clinical psychology.
- Explore major areas of study within academic clinical psychology.
- Understand educational and career opportunities within academic clinical psychology.
Note: the MA Program in Clinical Psychology does not include clinical training and is not intended to prepare students for clinical practice. Given the academic and research focus of the MA Program, the degree will not lead to licensure for independent practice. For those interested in Master-level programs that prepare students for licensure and practice, please visit the MA in Counseling Psychology and the MS in Marital and Family Therapy at The Family Institute at Northwestern University.
The MA Program in Clinical Psychology was designed for a variety of students, including students who:
- Are not yet ready to apply to a PhD program, but are considering doing so in the future.
- Wish to improve their competitiveness for a PhD program.
- Are interested in exploring a career in academic clinical psychology.
- With interests in related fields for which a background in academic clinical psychology may be of value.
The MA Program is embedded in the Clinical Psychology PhD Program, with coursework and lab work completed alongside PhD students. Although students in the MA Program are welcome to apply to the PhD Program in Clinical Psychology, the MA Program is not intended to be a "gateway" into the PhD Program in Clinical Psychology at Northwetern University Feinberg School of Medicine.
Please direct all questions to the Division of Psychology Admissions Assistant: