The Division of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neuropsychiatry program produces specialists in the delivery of skilled and comprehensive psychiatric medical care of older adults suffering from psychiatric and neuropsychiatric disorders. Our clinical programs emphasize expert diagnosis, early intervention, continuity of care, and access to new therapies and clinical research protocols.
Geriatric residents participate in supervised, collaborative, interdisciplinary clinical and didactic experiences which provide training in the:
- Development of diagnostic and assessment skills
- Application of biopsychosocial concepts
- Experience and knowledge of illness, prevention strategies and a wide range of treatment modalities including neuromodulation
- Treatment of a culturally diverse population of older adults with a wide range of psychopathology in a broad range of clinical settings
- Psychological and social aspects of gerontology, including normal aging and the pathology of primary psychiatric disturbances beginning in or continuing into older age
- Psychiatric impact of acute and chronic physical illnesses
- Recognition of and negotiation of legal and ethical issues
- Evidence-based clinical decision-making
- Educational leadership
The Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences features several nationally recognized research programs. Geriatric psychiatry residents have opportunities for supervised participation in funded research projects.
- Dunbar Laboratory for Research on Memory and Fear
- Center for Psychiatric Genetics
- Genetics and Neurobiology of Stress and Depression
- Laboratory of Translational Neurobiology
- Mental Health Services and Policy Program
- Neuroimaging & Applied Computational Anatomy Lab
- Feinberg Clinical Neuroscience Research Institution
- Center for Drug Discovery and Chemical Biology
- Center for Sleep and Circadian Biology
- Cognitive Neurology and Alzheimer’s Disease Center
- Northwestern University Institute for Neuroscience
Through Northwestern Memorial Faculty Foundation and Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Feinberg Psychiatry faculty provide skilled and comprehensive psychiatric mental care of older adults suffering from psychiatric and neuropsychiatric disorders in both inpatient and outpatient settings. See the Patient Care section of this site for more detail.